Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Writing Workshop: Theme




Grade 5's are working on creating their first big piece of writing based on their understanding and evidence of the theme of their book club book. They have been collecting data on character traits for the last two weeks looking for changes in the protagonist to help them understand the message the author is trying to tell them. They have been using their reading strategies to help them dig deeper and listen to their book club groups' ideas to help them extend their thinking. Now, let's see what it all comes to in their opinion essay! 


Grade 5's use the Read Write Think Interactive Essay Map to work as a group to create a draft essay. This helps them to collate their ideas and to build on their thinking making it stronger, more reflective and backed up by more evidence. They will use these essay maps later this week to write their own, independent essay. Some students are extending themselves to find more than one theme in the book, and others are working at explaining one theme with quality writing. Either way, students are pushing themselves to really show their learning and understanding. 

Please review the writing expectations for your child's writing. You will notice the level of rigor and expectations are much in grade 5. At this point, your child has already written a pre-test (opinion essay) in their writing notebooks. Take a look at their writing! 

Grade 5's, how do you feel book club discussions helped you grow as a reader? Remember to be specific and give an example. 

41 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only been in one group club discussion but the one I had been in helped me understand the book much much more, learn new words, and come up with other themes for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex Matsumoto #10
    Book club helped me enjoy the book.

    1. Help me understand and share my opinion.
    We sheared our ideas and understandings of the book we read.(Wringer)
    It was interesting to know others opinion.

    2. It helped to have better understanding of the book.
    Things that I was not sure, by discussing with the group I was able to have better understanding.

    Because of the above reasons, I enjoyed book club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thiago 16:yes because i can understand the book that im reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. Book club discussions have helped me because they opened my mind to new opinions. For example when I only thought of 2 themes, courage and growing up someone suggested frienship. So they helped me grow our ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Book club discussions have helped me because they make us explore different opinions. For example, when I didn't know another theme someone from the group brought another theme from a different perspective, so I thought and agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It helped because me could share ideas and work as a team also because we had different notes and when we got them together it made it much easier to write about the theme it also helped because we were able to correct our work. In other words it helped because it was a small group not the hole class so that helped us to focus better, plus when we did not know something we had our group to support us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It helped me grow as a learner because it taught me to think about the book and it didn't look so important but as I read more and more I realised that it was a really big deal to him and that it was very special to him. Another way that it helped me grow as a learner is that courage will get you to your goals.
    -Esther

    ReplyDelete
  12. book club discussions help me grow as a reader because my group gave me ideas. Also they can help me if my writing is not clear. For example, when we were discussing about our theme statements,i only had 3 themes and they had 4 so i asked them why and they told me. Ignacio #20

    ReplyDelete
  13. Book Discussion has helped me with understanding because when I don't understand my group helped me out and now I know how to manage myself when I don't understand. For the theme statement I had some trouble but then my group helped me out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like book club discussions helped me grow as a reader because; First of all, it taught me how to write better, to think about my reading while writing. Second of all, it helped my reading skills. Some examples of that is: Learning new words, understanding what the author is trying to say and how to organize my thoughts when trying to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Book club discussions have helped me know about what a character trait is and how it affects the character. It has also helped me grow as a better reader because I use to never think about writing when I read a book, but now I know how to analyze the situation by knowing what the character is doing and how the character traits change. Now I know how to tell why the author says words like this way instead of another and they helped me to really look close in my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pedro 1#
    the book club helped me push my thinking as a learner, and it also makes me a critical thinker about the evidence,examples, and characteristics. I know this because my progress in the book club is really good as i start to notice important information.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ana Lucia #3
    Book club discussions helped me in many ways. For example, by talking about character traits and the theme I am able to right clearer and express my ideas better. Another reason is that book club discussions help me infer what the author was trying to tell me. And finally I think book club discussion helped me because, by sharing my ideas and listening to the ideas of others I could have more evidence in my writing and think of the character in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gabriel Soret #20
    The book club discussions hekped me see how I am a critcal thinker. I showed more ideas. I really dedicated myself. It helped me push my thinking further. I showed more detail in my writing also I presented more example to my writing!! It also helped me capture my reading level! I found my reading skills. Thats how it helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Book club groups helped me grow as a reader because when I am in my group I hear many different ways to think about the book. After being part of a book club, I now have the ability to think of other ways to interperate what the book is trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  20. On my first book club I grew like a reader because I was a critical thinker when I was discussion. I was reading out loud sometimes so that helped me what was my wrong things. I am reading better than I was reading on the start of fith grade. That means that my reading is in a higher level and the book club is helping me write better and read better. I could also share my opinion with the group and we talked about my opinion. If I had a question about the book they helped me and said the answer and explained to what I asked. I enjoyed our first book club!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The book club diction helped me give more examples in my weighting than I normally do and helped me read faster and collect more information and i just see a hole lot of impotent in my reading and righting now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Book club discussions helped me by pushing me to think about the book. When I normally read, I just read for fun. But now, I stop to think.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Book club groups helped me too understand the book better by stop and writing about reading and to discuss what happened in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thais Cabrero #4
    The book club discussions helped me because we could share ideas.When we did, we understood better our book, and that helped us be better communicators.Not only that, but when you didn't understand something, your group could always help you. Our challenge, was to find a charecters traits and the story's theme. By talking about the character traits and the themes of the story, all of us are able to express our ideas/understandings better.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Book club discussions helped me understand the book and read slower. Before, I used to read fast and not be able to say afterwards what happened. Now, I remember the story.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This book club helped me a lot because my partners shared ideas with me. For example, when me and my partner's shared our own opinions, it let me understand better the character traits and also figure out parts that wasn't written in the story. Also we developed our skills of risk takers. One of our challenge was to finish the book in time because it had too many pages, also we had to read intensively to understand every part of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Book club disscussions helped me grow as a student because 4 or 5 brains work much better than 1. Also, it helped me grow as a team mate, because I talked more with them about the topic, we still do independent reading, but we are still reading the same book, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Book Clubs discussion helped me grow as a reader because the people in your group can help you get through the tough parts of Book Clubs. Also, it helped me grow as a friend, because we got to know each other as a learner. There were challenges through the process of Book Clubs, because not everyone in the group were on the same page, Some finished and some not, but I think improved on our reading. And I can't wait for the next Book Clubs!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Book club helped me because it is interesting and my book club people helped me and other people at Character traits and the theme. I also knew more about a book and that characters are complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Book Club made me think more about the book and I liked to discuss about the book with the Book Club. It helped me to stay more focused in reading the book and writing at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think book club discussion helped me because we could discuss and share our opinions and sometimes I was inspired by my book club classmates. This made me think of new character traits and themes.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I enjoyed book clubs because I could learn from others and listen to their thinking. I also enjoyed it because I got to learn about other people and make more friends.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I know that my book club discussions helped my as a reader because, now I know how to find the themes and character traits when I am reading which really helps me as a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  37. number : 18
    name : stefano



    the book discussions helped me because we understood what we didn't understand earlier and if we ran out of examples or they did we could help them by giving that ideas
    that helped me grow as a reader because if we didn't listen, understand or if you need more help they are there to help you and you are thee to help them, and that helps me grow as a reader because in what they help i can learn and improve the way i read

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like book clubs because it’s interesting learning about other people’s opinions, for example, in our book club discussion Karan mentioned a theme that I hadn’t yet thought about; Bullying. Also, being in a book club group helped me have other ideas about the book (themes, double entry journal etc).

    ReplyDelete